- 2 cups soft bread cubes (2 to 3 slices)
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup cooked vegetables (peas, green beans, mixed, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 1 large tomato, sliced
Combine bread cubes with melted butter and cheese; arrange half of mixture in a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole. Spread vegetables over the bread mixture.
Sauté chopped onion in remaining 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Blend in flour and seasonings; cook, stirring, until flour is blended into butter. Gradually add milk, stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbling. Stir in cooked cubed chicken. Pour chicken in sauce over the vegetables in casserole; arrange tomatoes slices over sauce then top with remaining bread mixture. Bake at 325° for 25 to 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly and lightly browned.
This was a pretty simple recipe that was really good. The original name was "Chicken Casserole" but we re-named it to "Tomato Breads Casserole" because it just fit better.